Tuesday, April 24, 2012

4/24/12- Rufus Wainwright- Out of the Game

Jess was using my computer last night so I picked up the iPad which didnt have any music/spotify/pandora etc on it, but did have NPR which includes First Listen. Normally I probably would have skipped over Rufus- not because I dont like his music, but mostly because he is not usually in the realm of my interests. Because of my lack of other options though I jumped in and gave his new album "Out of the Game" a listen. Lets just say I was immediately impressed. 
He's is definitely not pushing any boundaries or really inventing anything new, but he's simply just making great music. His voice is as strong as ever as he sings so effortlessly with his unique brand/mix of pop and classical styles. His compositions are varied within style as well as instrumentation to which each song feels unique and individual but not so much that the album feels disjointed. I strongly encourage everyone (if you havent given Rufus Wainwright a listen in some time) to give this album at least one run through and I bet you will go back and give it another and another. I surely have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment